Sunday, July 10, 2011

One mile

Today I ran my first mile in probably 18 years and it felt GREAT!
When the kids were here last week I was inspired to get back into running. I used to run and bike almost every day when I lived in New York, but once I moved to Virginia I just got away from it.
I went out this week and purchased:
A pair of Foster Grant sunglasses $10
A Timex watch $34
And a pair of NIKE running shoes $70 (didn't want to spend too much on shoes until I know I'am committed). Garland informed me this morning as I was walking back up the driveway that NIKE resigned Michael Vicks...if I had known that I would not have brought a pair...Next time it won't be NIKE or anything with the NIKE symbol!!!


So I started out fine, thought I would run my mile out and walk it back. It is exactly 1 mile from the end of my driveway to the beginning of our road. I started my watch to time my mile, but did something wrong..so I had to estimate...then the neighbor's beagles followed me and barked all the way to the end of his property.... but I felt surprisingly good considering it has been so long. I do walk daily and do yoga so I am not in terrible shape and my job is very physically demanding.
So, my first mile run was about 19 minutes and that was taking it very conservatively...Now I just need a 5K run to motivate me even more.
I have 2 nieces that are runners that live within 4 hours so maybe I can hook up with them for a race.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!

p.s. you can see a little grass on the back of my shoe..so I really did go out this morning....

1 comment:

  1. Great job Dody! Keep it up, if you can get through the first two weeks (which are the hardest), it just becomes habit!

    ReplyDelete